Friday, January 14, 2011

Chapter Forty Three: Three Seasons and One Illustration

A few years ago, I felt the need to explore my type of artwork a little further, trying new things.
I had develop a way to draw in black and white, but was feeling limited by the medium.
I had worked with colours before, but, this time, I wanted to do something else than the flat sets of colours I use to do.
Out of a fairly poor reference picture, I drew Terry in black and white, trying to be as poetic as I could, as simple as I could possibly be, without compromising the quality and feeling of the illustration.
It ended up being Terry and the snow, in Winter:

Terry and the Snow - Winter Season


Then, I came up with the idea to experiment with textures.
I was at the beginning of using that new technic, so I was far from understanding how it really worked.
However, after few attempt, I came up with that, Terry and the snow, during the Spring:

Terry and the Snow - Spring Season


Finally, I rolled up my sleeves and made the decision to work with colours.
But I wanted to do a painting.
So, I used digital medium, and painted it like if I was working in a somehow classic form.
It required a lots of work and goofing around to obtain what I wanted to.
It became Terry and the snow, during the Summer:

Terry and the Snow - Summer Season
When I look at it now, I realize the mistakes I made, like the use of the pure black, or the outlines around the snow flakes.
But, hey, this is a work in progress.
And, it also makes me realize than I should get back to working with that type of medium, as, I have not done so since this specific piece.

Voila, that's all for now folks.

Sincerely,

Serge
Janeiro 14th

No comments:

Post a Comment