Sunday, January 23, 2011

Chapter Fifty One: Processed Pictures, Before & After - Part One

I re-discovering my obsession with skies, but I guess that's ok.
However, this is not the point today.

In the past few weeks, I have been gently asked to explain how I do my post processing.
Fact of the matter is that, I really should make a tutorial so everyone can do it and expand my methods.
Art is really about sharing, isn't it?

But I am lazy, and because I am a perfectionist and, a tutorial is a fair amount of work, I keep on delaying the moment I'll finally start.
I smile as I read what I just typed, and, be certain that, tutorial there will be, and chances are, it will be soon.

So, as a hors d'oeuvre, let's have a little look at the always exciting before and after.
I took a new series of skies pictures which I then processed.
I suggest to have a look at the original pictures, then the post processed ones.

Now, before we start, I just want to say few things about post processing:
The differences are often striking. And, it might seems at first, if one doesn't take the time to think, that the post processing does all the job, but that is not true.
Enhancing a picture only works on an original good picture.
What I am trying to say is that, the real challenging part is not to do a good post processing, but to take a good picture, a picture where the the post processing will appropriately bring the hidden parts to light.

Also, and I will be done after that, every single picture is always post processed, and has always been.
Back in the day pictures were taken on film, the post processing was done in a black room.
There, the lights and shades were manually adjusted.
Nowadays, with digital photography, even if you do not bring the picture into some kind of software, the chip that is in the camera does a pretty heavy job at post processing.

Every picture is post processed, always, and has always been.
And now, let's have a look if you will:

Before
After


Before
After


Before

After


Before

After




Okay, voila, that's all for now folks.
More to come tomorrow.
Cheers.

Sincerely,

Serge
Janeiro 22nd

No comments:

Post a Comment