Sunday, March 22, 2015

Chapter 158 . New Illustration . Galactus . The process


Recently, I have been inspired to draw Marvel characters.
I can't really explain it, but can one really explain inspiration?

So I read some old comics, illustrated by John Byrne and the artist of this generation, glorious to admire the amount of details put in those comics.
I wanted to understand the way those brilliant folks dealt with shades and lights.

And then, I started drawing.
Captain America, The Falcon and The Daredevil so far...
But after few drawing, one has to start drawing a villain....
Well, frankly, if I am going to draw a villain, for the first one, might as well go straight to the top!
So, of course, I could have chosen Thanos, but Thanos is going to be everywhere with all the Marvel movies, and, isn't he already everywhere?
From the Avengers to The Guardians of the Galaxy, we have had the privilege to see his ugly face more than once!
And what's probably coming, is nothing else that scary!!!!
Thanos

Ok, so it wasn't going to be Thanos, at least, not for now.
So, who comes after?
After, really?
I am not sure of that!
I choose the devourer of worlds, the entity who needs to feed on the life of an entire planet to have a "meal" and therefore, survive.
I choose Galactus!
I am not going to go in details of who he is and what's not.
For further informations, please consult that thing we call "The Internet".
And so, I did some researches, decided what the composition would be, and started drawing.
I first drew the shades, the dark parts.
To make it as easy as possible, I drew it in a kind of a reddish pink, because, this actually helps me to visualize what I am doing better than in back...
Go figure...
Galactus . Stage 1


I then finished all the shades, turned them from red to black, and started adding some colours.
In fact, while i was thinking that the colouring part would be the easiest, it ended up being the most challenging.
Galactus has a complex costume, and the many shades of pink had to be worked and reworked many times.
Galactus . Stage 2

While working on the colouring, I also started working on the background.
I knew what I wanted to do, but didn't know if it was going to work.
I also, from the stat, wanted to give the illustration the feel of an old poster, so, I started working my textures as well.
Oh, on a side note, this is entire made in Adobe Illustrator, no Photoshop here.
Galactus . Stage 3

The illustration was starting to get together!
Still lots of twitching, but, I was going in the right direction.
I particularly liked the different tones of colours I was staring to obtain, especially noticeable around the sun, and in the sky.
Next, time to finish the colouring of Galactus, and complete the background.
I also modified the texture.
Galactus . Stage 4

Almost completed.
Now, I simply needed to implement the illustration within a poster, and find a title.
This would be called:
And so came Galactus - Galactus Poster Special Edition
And so, here is the final product:
And So Came Galactus . Galactus Poster Special Edition

Now, and this is new and coming, I am working towards a new part of the blog where it will be possible to buy prints of the different illustrations I have been doing, in different format, for different pricing, and, affordable if possible.
So, in the Galactus case:

Print Available - 18x24 - $46 CA + Shipping
To Order Your Print: Simply email sergefoglio@gmail.com
with the name of your print and the size

And, as I already said, more about that to come soon.

Voila, that's all row now folks,
Have a great Sunday!

Sincerely,

Serge
22nd march 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment