Sunday, March 20, 2011

Chapter Eighty Five: Back Into the Land of the Big Plains

In other words, back in Canada.

The trip to France has been amazing.
Eyes opening, emotional experience, and, above all, readjusting values, family values.
It has been absolutely wonderful, it made me realize what I really feel for my family, and how important they are to me.
So dear to my heart...
I just wished I could have Travel with my love, whom, I miss so much.
But in one week we will be together... Finally...

I will talk about Marseille for a while I guess, and show pictures I have not had the opportunity yet to show.
I have about 150 pictures to process and show, so we'll stay in the south for a while longer.

The light in Marseille is white.
It's quite something, it turns everything into something shiny, it eats the details and make you focus on what matters, as far as shapes are concerned.
It also forces one self to readjust the way pictures should be taken.

The architecture is stunning.
All those little things that we build as humans, the details, the beautiful details, the attention that was put into building a shelter, a house, the way architecture was seen in the days those buildings were built.
Mind you, you need to keep in mind that, especially compared to North America, Europe is old, and has had the time to develop a specific and beautiful culture.
it is more complex than that, but in the end, that's what comes out of it, for me at least.
For instance, Marseille is 2600 years old.
Two thousands & six hundred years old...
It's mind blowing.
It's even hard to fully process the thought, but when you're there, you feel it.
And that, is called magic.

So, here we go, for few more pictures of Marseille and it's inhabitants:

On the way up to Notre Dame de la Garde, a Neo Byzantine church from
1864, an child made of stone reminds you to keep quiet.
Chut...

One of my favorite building in Marseille

The Port of Marseille taken from Le Pharo

Dry plant and sea

Marseille by night

My niece Ambre, or Amber in english

My little boy Ethan had a great time, obviously...

Ambre portrait's

My brother Denis with his God Son Thimoté, son of Cyril, an incredibly good
friend. When friends become family.

Ambre with my Dad Sauveur, her GrandPa


And then, of course, comes the time to go back home.
The concept of home is such a tricky one, where and why is home.
For the time being, that is where my sons live and where my wife is coming to meet us in a week from now.
Traveling from Europe to the west of Canada is hell, you take a plane in the middle of the night in Marignane, a town about 45 minutes drive from Marseille, then you go to Frankfurt/Germany where you got to wait for 5 hours, even though you make some cool people, refugees from iran moving to Canada, then you wait for 10 hours or so in a giant tin can thousands of feet above the ground, then you take a bus in Vancouver, after having to go through hell with the customs (Vancouver has the worst customs in the world, I swear) you get into a ferry and finally, you are, I guess, home...
Here is a resume of the trip with pictures:

Separated by two glass walls, at the airport in Marseille, the last view of My brother Denis and My Mom

Ethan, patiently waiting and playing with his DS in Frankfurt/Germany

We are home, in the PCL bus from Vancouver to Victoria

And poor Ethan, passing out on the Ferry


Today, I am going for brunch with both of my boys.
That's the good news.
And then, I am looking for a place to stay, applying for work, and all that stuff.
We need a place ASAP!
I need to take my stuff of from storage, it's been 1 year already!
I am blessed to have good friends in Canada, and France, and Brazil.
And soon, my darling will be with us too.
I can hardly wait.

One more picture of Marseille before I go:

Marseille and the surrounding areas



Voila, that's all for today folks.
I should come back to my routine of writing daily.
Have a good Sunday.

Sincerely,

Serge
March 20th 2011

2 comments:

  1. WELCOME BACK!!!!!

    Can't wait to see you again!


    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you and Ethan had a good time! Good luck finding a place and job and everything when Sil comes. Hope to see you soon. xo

    ReplyDelete