Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Chapter Twenty Three: A little more about here... and there...

So, I got a wicked haircut last Saturday.
Went with my love to those 2 hairdresser, it was a blast and they gave me a fantastic haircut.
The problem is that, it is cold here in Curitiba.
Left, all happy, then went to a beer festival, had another great time, met a french canadian, drank and got a nasty flu.
Well done Serge!
Sunday, I was in bed with fever and shivers.
My favorite.
But today, I am way better.
Go figure.




The more I stay here, in Parana, the more I like it.
I finally got the battery for my camera that I had forgotten in Victoria -don't ask- , thank you to Athanasia who send it to me, and so, I have started to take some real pictures.
Not that I don't like my IPhone, but, it's kinda limited to take pics.....
So, here are some pics:
Organic life in Curitiba

Building in Curitiba
Buildings and sky in Curitiba
Street light in Curitiba
Wicked bus stop in Curitiba

It's interesting how, as a new comer, you see things that people don't see. In the meantime, as a new comer, you don't understand it.
However, Curitiba has that mix of everything and nothing as I have already said. However, I find most of the architecture very organic, the city is very much alive and not safe. This make it interesting to me, fascinating if I could. It forces me to come up with tricks to take pictures. For instance, all of those pics were taken from a car.
I am falling in love with the insane wire line there is everywhere.
Such perfect lines, made with no other purpose than being utilities wires. But somehow, it all mixes in some wonderful lines and curves, so well defined that it becomes difficult to see what is organic and what is not. Maybe, it all is, what do we know after all?


A couple of week ends ago, Silvia and I went to a wonderful island called Ilha do Mel, which means Honey Island. There is a lots of funny and goofy names here, like on our way there, 3 hours by bus or so, in some destroyed area, a large avenue was called Las vegas. I couldn't but smile at the absurdity of the world.
Anyway, when you get close to the island, you got to take a boat.
Not a ferry like we have in BC, but one of those old crappy boat that I like so much.
The ocean was some kind of blue green, just wonderful.
There, even though it is a super touristic place, it is out of season here, as it was still winter.
But it wasn't that cold.
Now, let me put one thing clear once and for all. Brazil is huge. And not the stereotype we think it is. So, where I live, it's cold. OK!!!!!!!! Everyone gets it?!!?!? it's c o l d !!!!!
The weather is kind of similar with victoria, with the exception than rain and heavy and short, and there is thunder and lightnings. Me luuuuuuuuuuuurve thunders and lightnings. :)
This said, Ilha do Mel wasn't that cold.
We got a fantastic bungalow just for ourselves, with a sort of amazing patchwork of things, but so nicely decorated, an incredible harmony I tried to absorb as much as I could.
We walked to the light house, the jungle and the immense beaches with no one in sight.
Perfect for us.
Food was good, and not too expensive, the people were simple and agreeable. Something I am not too use to. Or maybe, something I forgot, something I took for granted and stopped appreciating. Ah, there is always so much to learn.
And, well, Sil and I had some veeeeeeeeeeery good time there! :)
It is so good to see her so happy.
Then, we went back, took our big bus Greyhound style, and mid way, the bus had a flat. :|
This was amazing, but again, this is Brazil. And, the driver simply changed that enormous wheel, and we were back on our way back. I was stunned how this event was seen as normal there. People didn't even get of the bus, but I surely did to see the titan work that this task was. :)
Here are some pics:
Our boat

On the boat
Our hotel entrance
Our bungalow
Amazing beaches where we swam
Beach with the light house
Up to the light house
Serge happy
The empty hotel at night
More of the hotel at night
Our perfect hotel at night
On the way back
Simple love
So, it was just wonderful!




Now, let's do something new here, for fun and what's not. I have been thinking of adding more bla bla bla parts to my blog, like some rants that I like so much, :D, but to start, let's do a short movie review of the crap I have been watching recently. :D

1. The good, the bad and the weird
















Well, Korean movies are getting better by the second. In fact, nowadays, I believe they are some of the best. Subtile, funny, and magnificently directed, a mix of western spaghetti and a lesson o history... Well, at least, one side of it. A good time!

2. It's complicated



















What a piece of crap!
Don't get me wrong, I actually like romantic comedy quit a lot. But here we are, rich people with a perfect family and a view of the world that makes me sick. This is a complete imbecility. It valorizes cheating and once again, the individuality over the real meaning of what a couple is.
Don't lose your time. Read a good book!

3. Plein Soleil



















Magnificent movie from René Clément, based on the book called Mr Ripley.
Does that reminds you of anything?
Admirable acting, cold and deep, gorgeous Alain Delon, and produced by Martin Scorcese back in 1960. A must see!

4. Police Python 357



















Interesting movie, definitely inspired by Dirty Harris, I believe that, what Alain Corneau was trying to show was the hypocrisy of the french bourgeoisie in a province of France, in the city of Orleans.
Excellent acting by Yves Montand, as cold as a coal, fermé a double tour!
A little long from time to time, and maybe a little too slow.

5. A bout de souffle or Breathless



















A french classic from La nouvelle vague or La nouvelle blague from Jean-Luc Godard.
Not a huge huge fan of la nouvelle vague, but this one, with Les 400 coups is still one of my favorite.
A must see, even just to see how the world has changed.

Voila, that's all for now folks.
Have yourself a good day, and try to not get the flu, it sucks!

Sincerely,

Serge

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're having fun in your new home, new city, new country!

    I saw Purple Noon a few years ago when it was re-released in theaters here in America. I definitely liked it better than the modern version with Matt Damon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Sir,
    You still are my man!!!!!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooopppppssss
    Hey mr Sir, it's not my wife who told you that, but me not realizing that she was logged in
    Duh
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Serge I am enjoying your Photos :)

    ReplyDelete