Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Chapter 123 . Illustrations update...


Britt H

I guess, the most common comment I get about illustrating is the fact that it is a gift to have the skill...
I couldn't possibly disagree more.

What I feel about it is more of a curse than a gift.
It obsesses me, spy on my mind, forced me to proceed, withdraw my freedom, torment me and have the insane power of bringing depression above my humble being, like a cloud hovering over my head...
And still, I can't get rid of it, so I guess I am better comply and try to find some peace of mind.

The lovely lady opening the post is a friend of a friend who asked for a fast portrait.
So, here we go.
I treated it as a serious doodle, trying to get the feeling I got from the picture through simplifying, an attempt to express an individual's personality through a simple illustration.
Thing was, I actually didn't know the individual, or very little about her.
Anyway, and I am smiling as I am typing this, here is the result.
I, personally, like it.


OK, I could debate for more than a decade about the different type of mediums I practise, and what they are for and what's not, but in the end, I am only descent when I draw illustrations.
And I am totally fine with that.
Most probably, that's what I should focus on doing, as there is still so much to learn, and maybe take it as a daily challenge.

So, since I more or less stopped writing on that blog, about 2 years ago (ok, I'm back for good btw), I have drawn a fair bit, to not say, more than ever before in this lifetime.
I will go onto the details soon, but not now.
However, to summarize and give you a preview, I worked on a series of Silhouettes, in a specific area of Victoria, and on a massive project that is, almost, ready to be released, a Comic Book or Graphic Novel, about a Private Investigator in Victoria BC Canada, who mainly solves cases involving the use of magic and surrounded by the mysterious.
I designed the entire universe to have a Film Noir feeling, and a matching style.
There is a lots of parts in the main project, such as, a large format comic called The Case of the Chinese Cemetery , an illustrations set with mini book named The Night of the Sasquatch, and a series of illustration about the past of the main character, an attempt to show his life without having to tell it, from his Enemies, to his Youth.
Last, a work in progress piece I'm working on, a scene of a case for that very same PI, that happened in Marseille-France, in 1987.
So, here we go.

Silhouettes:

Man On A Bike in James Bay

Renaissance Lady Walking in James Bay

Young Lad Walking in James Bay


Graphic Novel - The Case of the Chinese Cemetery - Volume One

Front Cover

Page 4

Back Cover

Detail


Mini book - The Night of the Sasquatch

Main Poster Package

Detail

Map


The Villains:

The Prestige

SnakeHead

Liebert The Cannibal

And last, a drawing I'm working on, Hessfog in Marseille, 1987, at The St Marie Light House.

Hessfog at The St Marie Light House - Marseille


Voila,
That's all Peeps.
Have a good time,

Sincerely,

Serge
June 4th 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment